Nov. 12, 2008
Street Roots has been selected by Willamette Week for inclusion in the 2008 Give!Guide. The fifth annual Give!Guide is a holiday season fund raiser that serves as a unique vehicle for generating donations for a collection of Portland area non-profit organizations.
With a donation this fall, you will:
– Provide a way for more than 200 homeless and low-income individuals to secure immediate and basic needs
– Offer a path to self-sufficiency, including skills development and resume building
– Foster self-respect and a sense of personal worth
– Expand opportunities for people experiencing homelessness and poverty to sell the newspaper in outlying areas of Portland
But Street Roots does more than help individuals. With your donation, Street Roots will commit to:
– Bring Portlanders alternative news you can’t find anywhere else
– Foster dialogue about important issues facing neighborhoods and communities throughout the region
– Advocate for change on issues that affect people experiencing homelessness and poverty
– Report on a broad range of issues, including civil liberties, immigration, the environment, economic development, the war on drugs and much more
– Deliver in-depth journalism and opinions from an international movement made up of more than 90 street newspapers worldwide
You can make contributions online to Street Roots via the Give!Guide Web site. Donations are accepted from today through midnight Dec. 31.
With each donation of $25 or more, friends of Street Roots receive some great incentives.
• If you donate between $25 and $99, you’ll receive an envelope containing the following: A couple of TriMet bus tickets, a coupon good for a loaf of Dave’s Killer Bread, a coffee drink of your choice from any Portland-area Peet’s, two scoops from Staccato Gelato, a Stash tea bag, and a coupon good for a discount at Trebol restaurant.
• If you donate between $100 and $399, you’ll receive all of the above plus: a coupon good for the cleaning of a shirt or blouse at Bee Cleaners, a coupon for three free yoga classes at Amrita Yoga, a couple more TriMet tickets, a Kiehls’ bounce-back card. In addition, the first 200 donors in this category will get free passes to Beavers games next spring, and the second 200 donors will get a free classic doughnut from Voodoo’s new location on NE Davis.
• If your donation is $400 to $999, you get home delivery of: a bottle of fine wine, a half pound of Peet’s coffee, a coupon good for a discount on Castor & Pollux organic dog food, a coupon for a free load of Dave’s Killer Bread, and a box of Stash tea. All of this will arrive in a reusable New Seasons bag.
• For donations of $1,000 or more, there’s a full pound of Peet’s coffee, a five-pound bag of Castor & Pollux organic dog food, a Go Fetch coupon book, a Dave’s Killer Bread free loaf coupon, and a nice bottle of sparkling wine.
But wait! There’s more! For donors under the age of 36, there’ll be a raffle for 10 pairs of Keen Footwear, a basket of Snook’s doggie treats, a check for $1,000, and a year’s ZipCar membership – including a free weekend with the ZipCar of your choice. (That includes a BMW, Prius, or Mini Cooper.)
To donate to Street Roots go to www.wweek.com/giveguide. All donations are tax deductible.
Donors who wish to avoid giving online may download and print out a copy of the Give!Guide donation form here and mail it to a local post office box address on the form.
Street Roots could use your help now more than ever! Thank you for your support!